October 10, 2017

Sunshine Blogger Award


The adorable Claire Bear nominated me for a Sunshine Blogger Award a little while back, and it's a really fun way to get to know a little bit more about the person and the motivation behind a blog. The Sunshine Blogger Award highlights bloggers who are 'creative, positive and inspiring' and the idea is that you pass the 'Award' on by nominating another list of bloggers, who in turn answer your questions in a post and then pass it along. Thanks for the nomination Claire! My list of bloggers who I would like to pass this on to is listed below my answers.



1. How long have you been blogging for?


I started Skip to Malou on Tumblr in 2010, when I was planning my first global travel trip with one of my close friends.
2. What made you want to start a blog?

My Mum! My blog was the easiest way for me to keep family and friends updated during my travels and it become my way of journalling. I had a really dinky Blackberry (with a pink hello kitty case that I bought in Bangkok!), but I managed to jot down our daily adventures and it helped me keep track of what we were doing.



3. What are your goals this year for your blog?


  • To grow my platform as a force for good
  • To utilise my international network to promote Barbados more
  • To continue to share stories about travel and the causes I care about
  • To be a more consistent blogger, which is really tough as I am always juggling various projects and blogging is put on the back burner
4. What is your favourite thing about having a blog?

I love stories and storytelling, so being able to share stories and to connect with an international network really excites me. My blog is a platform for many things and seeing a conversation or collaboration with someone come to life, after they've read or seen something on my blog, is really inspiring. Writing comes quite naturally to me, so I feel like my blog is my mouthpiece for things that I care about. 
I've also met some really amazing people and have made some great friends along the way. 


Meeting up with Setarra in DC in 2014

5. What is your least favourite thing about having a blog?

It can be a little creepy sometimes (I've had someone contact me from jail in the US) but that's the price I pay for putting myself out there. People also think that they know me based on what I publish online and forget that it's just a small slice of my life.

6. If you could go back in time to when you first started your blog and give yourself some advice, what would it be? 

  • Focus: It's better to focus on a few things that you're passionate about than to spread yourself thin. For me, that has evolved over the years from being strictly travel focussed to also talking about my life and causes I care about.
  • Consistency is key: I never really thought about blogging as more than a hobby, it's a fun creative outlet for me, but now that things are a bit more serious on social media, I have to 'up' my game so that I'm not drowned out by everything else.
  • Connect with the enormous network of bloggers and travel enthusiasts out there: There are so many great communities to learn from, such as Girls Love Travel and Bloggers Supporting Bloggers
7. What is the biggest struggle you have with your blog?

Definitely keeping consistent and finishing posts! I also have the extreme "privilege problem" of trying to keep up my posts with amount of travelling I do - I have a backlog of 3 years worth of travel and it stresses me out a bit. I don't have a strict schedule throughout my week, so it's difficult for me to set aside time to blog, I just do it when I have a spare minute (and a glass of wine, preferably).

I also live in a really small island with very few bloggers and while there are many who support and encourage me to keep blogging, I have also been teased and mocked for years because of my blog as some people just can't understand why I have one. 


8. Do you monetise your blog? If so, how?
Not as yet, though I have a few collaborations in the works.
9. What are some of your hobbies outside of your blog?


  • Travelling
  • Painting
  • Scuba/Free Diving
  • Surfing
  • Swimming
  • Volunteering

10. Who is your favourite blogger?


That's a really tough question....Especially as so many blogs have come and gone over the years. I love reading great travel blogs, such as Adventures Kate, or curated lifestyle blogs like Rockstar Diaries/Love Taza (which is one of the first blogs I ever came across) and I just love her style. In terms of one of my favourite blogs that I keep coming back to, my friend Setarra takes the cake (and not just because she's even more awesome in real life) but she keeps it real and personal. 
11. Give us something to think about! A good 'last thought' about blogging and life lessons. What is something you would like to tell your readers? 

Keep in mind why you started blogging, and stick to that. I am so happy that I have this little slice of the internet to record different periods of my life and to share it with people who care to read it. As I said before, the relationships I've formed since starting this blog are invaluable and it is such a fun, creative outlet!

-------------------------------------


I would like to nominate the following (Caribbean) bloggers:


- Setarra

- The Kay Times
- No More Fashion Victims
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig