July 19, 2010

The things we do for a good photo!


To make sure we got the most out of our time in Siem Reap, we bought a two day Temple Pass which costed US$40! Definitely our most expensive stop so far but we balanced it out by paying US$2 for our bed!
Christina is a 5th year architecture student, so visiting Angkor Wat made her as excited as a child in a sweet shop. She scoured her book on Angkor Wat with way too much enthusiasm, spitting out random facts every few minutes and shrieking at the sight of each new one.
Angkor Wat is the largest religious monument in the world! We spent our first afternoon visiting some of the smaller temples, finishing off with Angor Wat, hoping to catch a nice sunset. Unfortunately it was cloudy so we arranged to come again at sunrise, much to my dismay. My mum calls me a “stunned banana” in the morning and waking up at 4am to take pictures was no exception. I could barely focus my eyes,far less my lens, to snap away at the amazing silhouette of the temples. It was definitely one of those breathtaking scenes which don’t seem real; what I was witnessing was on postcards! I fell asleep on the way to our last few temples; the novelty of the temples definitely wore off for me. A temple is a temple is a temple…
It was also disapointing to be so harrassed at every temple we went to. Children from 4 to 18 years old would hound the tuk tuks as they drove in, “Madaaaaaam, you want cold water? You want braceleettt??” I thought it was really sweet that they asked my name and introduced themselves, striking up conversation once I had declined to buy anything. “You come from Landannn? Ooh, how long you stay in Siem Reap?” Etc. Little did I realise it would be used against me when I came back out of the temples, as I heard my name being called: “Malouuuu, you said you would buy something when you came back out!!”
 Me: “I never said such a thing!”
Them: “Yes you diddddd, you a liarr!”
Malou: “That’s not true, don’t make things up and make me feel guilty!”
 Them: “You a liarrr lady, you no English, you no keep your word!”
 At which point I would question why such smart kids who could speak English so well were selling trinkets and snacks outside of tourist traps instead of bettering themselves at school!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig