September 11, 2011

Remember, remember that day in September?


Do you remember what it was like to travel before September 11th, 2001?

I am one of the lucky few to have flown standby my whole life because of my Mum's job in the airline industry.  Sometimes this meant my butt was sent to the back of the plane to sit in the smoking section and as luck would have it I would be seated next to a rather large cigar smoker. But occasionally I lucked out and in the summer of 2001 I experienced the coolest 8 hours ever.
During a flight from Barbados to England the captain kindly asked me if I wanted to join him and the crew upfront in the cockpit.
I sat in the cockpit for the duration of the flight, watching the world below me and in awe of the million and one buttons and dials.
This was before traveling became a chore ; before locked cockpit doors, the strictest security and fear of hijacking. Kids were still allowed to come and say hello to the big boss up front. It's so sad think that there's a whole generation of kids who have grown up not knowing what the cockpit of a plane looks like.

Let's take a moment to remember that day in September.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig