November 28, 2011

Manic Monday: Pacific Standard Time


"I guess what I realised is that I'm afraid. What if I go inside the museum and look around at all the art and I just don't get it?"

 Jason Schwartzman celebrates the conceptual artist John Baldessari in this cute and quirky short film which discusses the common misconception that 'art' is too intimidating, forgetting that everyone can have their own interpretation of it:

"I'm trying to understand this....he just starts dripping paint on the canvas and then it's like, art?"  


This film is part of the Pacific Standard Time exhibiton which is a collaboration of more than sixty cultural institutions across Southern California, coming together for six months (it began in October and ends in April) to tell the story of the birth of the Los Angeles art scene and how it became a major new force in the art world. Each institution will make its own contribution to this grand-scale story of artistic innovation and social change, told through a multitude of simultaneous exhibitions and programs. 
Exploring and celebrating the significance of the crucial post-World War II years through the tumultuous period of the 1960s and 70s, Pacific Standard Time encompasses developments from L.A. Pop to post-minimalism; from modernist architecture and design to multi-media installations; from the films of the African American L.A. Rebellion to the feminist activities of the Woman's Building; from ceramics to Chicano performance art; and from Japanese American design to the pioneering work of artists' collectives.
Oh how I wish I could check this out! For those of you who can, enjoy!

XXX


PS: If you're reading this please help me out by becoming a public follower of this blog! Not sure as to how to do this? Click here and I'll show you :)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig