February 14, 2012

Love Ever After


Valentine's Day is kind of like Christmas for me. It stirs up all kinds of emotions and instead of gifts I make sure to tell certain people what they mean to me; it's always nice to be reminded of how much someone loves you or cares about you. Friends, family, pets and lovers all get a slice of the love pie. I've had some amazing Valentine's Day gifts and dates over the years but one in particular will always stand out...


10 years ago today the boy-next-door, my then crush (who later became my first love and one of my best friends) had coaxed his sweet grandmother into delivering a Valentine's Day gift on her early morning walk. She lived down my street and at 6 am she snuck onto my front porch on tip toes, laying down a flower, a teddy and an anonymous note. Two hours later, as I madly rushed out the door to make it to school on time, I came across the flower and card and nearly cried. I had an idea as to who the flower was from but wasn't sure if he could have made it out of bed at that hour, so it didn't really make sense. I carried that flower around with me all day at school (at an all girls school mind you, so you can imagine the questions and gossip that it invoked) and couldn't stop smiling. I had a real life Valentine. Later that day, my secret Valentine came over to say hi and pretend he didn't know anything about my special delivery. What followed was a very awkward conversation between two awkward teenagers as we both tried to play it cool. It was only a few weeks later that my suspicions were confirmed after his Mum let it slip that it was in fact his Granny who had played Cupid on his behalf! I still smile when I remember waking up to that sweet Valentine's Day surprise so many years ago...And yes, I got the 'OK' from him before publishing this.



On the topic of love and sweet notes, I came across the work of Lauren Fleishman who's project "Love Ever After"  portrays New York couples who have been together for more than 50 years. "After my grandfather's death, I found a series of love letters that he had written to my grandmother in a book next to his bed. They had been married for more than 50 years. This project is intended as a photographic series of 'love letters'." A sweet reminder that even though time changes things, true love can really last.

"You don't really think about getting older. First of all, you're aging together and when you see a person constantly you don't notice big changes. Like you don't notice 'oh you're getting a little wrinkle here' and tomorrow you say 'oh it's getting deeper.' Those are things that just happen. You don't pay attention to those things. "
"We met each other at a dancing party. It was January, 1938...Another cadet with high boots had approached her but she didn't like the high boots so she said no to him. I was the second one to approach her, I had a different uniform, but I'm not sure if it was my uniform or my face that attracted her to me." 
"What is the secret to love? A secret is a secret and I don't reveal my secrets!"



Happy Valentine's Day :)

XXX
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. that's the cutest story ever! lol so sweet of him! hope today is just as great for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig