March 4, 2012

Sunday Snapshots: Frozen Canals in Amsterdam


These winter shots are way overdue as the snow has now melted and everything is back to normal (boo!) but I couldn't help but post a few of these on here. I was like a kid in a candy shop during this time; everything looked so beautiful under a layer of crisp white fluff that I was snapping away like a loony toon! The canals hadn't frozen over like this in over 15 years so it was quite a treat to walk on water :) We skated to the groceries (by 'we' I mean 'everyone in Amsterdam but myself' - I have serious knee issues so I didn't dare put on skates but walked or slid on the ice like a sock ninja instead), took evening strolls and generally 'frolicked' :) Everyone was smiling and super excited to be a part of it all - there were canal parties, 'skating' discos', hot chocolate being sold on the canals by young entrepreneurs, sledding & even cafes moving their terraces onto the ice! And though it was sunny it was FREEZING cold so days spent outside were followed by cosy evenings inside with a big bowl of piping hot soup :)



XXX


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig