March 20, 2012

UnDutchable: Dairy free in the land of Dairy

Just before Christmas I came to the shocking conclusion that I may be allergic to Dutch dairy - my quarter life crisis has hit me kinda early. 


Not only do I live in Holland, the country known for it's cows, sweet milk, chocolate and cheese but I absolutely love dairy. I drank half a litre of milk every day without fail and every meal had some form of dairy product incorporated in it. As kids we requested cheese and mayo from Dutch family and friends who came to visit us in Barbados. Dutch milk is slightly sweet and quite creamy - a sign of a happy cow. The Dutch are some of the tallest people in the world and studies have linked this to the dairy they consume - rich in protein and other yummy stuff. I could go on forever about the awesomeness of Dutch dairy. But you'll just have to trust me; 

it's a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
 Unfortunately, my skin didn't care about any of this because it's too rich and creamy for little ol' me. Out went scoffing cheese daily, to having to think about what I eat and drinking ridiculous amounts of water.

These are the changes I've made so far:

Regular milk --- soy milk (euch) 
Regular cheese (young Edam) --- goat's cheese
 Yogurt/Cream --- imported, skimmed Greek yogurt 
Cupcake icing --- Whipped Greek yogurt with vanilla essence
White chocolate/milk chocolate --- Dark, 100% cocoa Fairtrade chocolate

I've been trying this on and off since Christmas but quite seriously the past few weeks. Deep down, I'm hoping my skin issue is because of a lack of sea breeze and sunshine and not because of too much dairy, alcohol or any other indulgences.
 I'll wait about two months to see if there's any significant improvement (Finger's crossed because this is driving me insane) 
If not, it's back to the drawing board with a cafe latte in hand and a bowl of the creamiest pasta ever.

Any other dairy free survivors out there? 

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. That is so horrible especially since you're a dairy lover like me. I don't have any dairy issues but over the summer I formed allegries to fresh cherries. Cherries are one of my favorite fruits and I can no longer eat them because I break out in hives and my mouth becomes extremely itchy :( I hope everything works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep us updated! Hopefully you're not allergic to it! I am mildly lactose and when I switched to soy and greek it helped!

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a vegetarian, but not vegan. It would def be hard :-) But I do love, love greek yogurt, it's way better than the regular stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how is this going, are you still doing it?? it's probably much harder there than in phoenix where we are, but can be well worth it...i've read studies where people's allergies and arthritis went away once they cut out dairy. creepy!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig