June 28, 2012

Hoes in different area codes


hoes

I consider myself incredibly lucky to have friends all over the world; from the prairies of Alberta to the beaches of Bali, my friendship circle extends far and wide thanks to the friendships I've formed throughout my life. My girls at home and abroad are interesting, inspiring, intelligent and independent, most of them doing their own thing and making their own way in the world. And as I tick the boxes of places I can visit once I get a job, I also get a slight pang of sadness knowing that it may be a while before I can see some of them again.Whatsapping and Skyping is sometimes impossible due to the time difference; as I start chatting away to someone in California I realise it's 3am for them and as I send a funny photo during a night out to someone in Jordan they're stuck in traffic on their way to work. Having hoes in different area codes can sometimes, quite frankly, be a pain in the butt. 



So I decided to take action and try something new; good 'old fashioned' emailing. I assigned a day of the month to each friend {myself included} with the intention of sending an email update on that particular day to my network of girls. This includes the latest on life, love and other stuff, with juicy details and pictures included. So far so good; the girls are all excited about this idea and MOST have managed to stick to their day this month. Receiving an email from a friend is a really good feeling and I've had many reasons to smile this month thanks to their tales of man troubles, pet stories & general woes of a twentysomething. It's like a virtual girly getogether with my nearest and dearest, extended over a longer period of time.
I long for the day when we can snap our fingers and teleport across the world to have a coffee and a catch up with a friend, or to be there for them when they need a hug and a shoulder to cry on. I have a feeling this teleporting thing may take a while but until then I take comfort in knowing that thanks to email and modern technology, no matter where this crazy world will takes us, nothing will change so much to the point where we're not still friends.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Staying in touch is so difficult and it's something that I struggle with living away from all of my family and friends. I used to have a "Happy Friday" group where we'd email our updates, etc. but sadly, it has tapered off. I like your idea of scheduling things in though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I would love to stay updated with my friends far away especially in Hawaii. The title of this post had me cracking up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig