July 9, 2012

Manic Monday: English-ish

I came across this short film a while ago which tries to show how English must sound to an non-English speaker. It's a pretty strange concept and one I'm all too familiar with; in London and Amsterdam you could easily hear 10 different languages being spoken at any time. I love trying to figure out what strangers are saying {Or even what language they're speaking} as they yap away in a foreign tongue; are they talking about the weather? What to have for lunch? In general, it's easy to guess what language is being spoken based on pitch, speed and glottal stops. Body language helps of course but even that can be misunderstood. They may just be wondering why this strange blonde girl is staring at them.



Imagine you didn't know a word of English and had to rely on gestures and emotions to decipher a conversation when the lexicon makes no sense whatsoever. Here's what it may look/sound like:


Happy Monday!

xxx
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. This is such a cool post! Where I"m from, I don't understand this concept one bit. I love your blog, it's so cute!

    http://haleybrianna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool post! Where I"m from, I don't understand this concept one bit. I love your blog, it's so cute!

    http://haleybrianna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig