August 22, 2012

If you can't tone it, tan it.

With carnival around the corner and Mr. Weatherman being quite unpredictable and unforgiving of this fact, I've decided to take matters into my own hands and fake tan. A wise friend once said "If you can't tone it, tan it" which is perfect for a lazy bones like me. All you need for a quick fix or a pick-me-up are sprays, creams and various other bronzing concoctions. Over the years I've tried a plethora of tanning products, thanks to a former tanorexic housemate who bought something new every week in the hope that she wouldn't look radioactive orange again. Sometimes, what didn't work for her worked perfectly for me {even though we were both fair and blonde} so it really is a matter of testing things out to see what works for you. It's also a much safer way to get a tan and after spending 20+ years in the sun, I'm giving my poor skin a break.

Here are my top tanning products: 


Dove Summer Glow Daily Moisturizer

This stuff is the bomb for keeping a year round colour. I use the darkest version available if I already have a tan but I'd recommend the lighter version for those with fairer skin tones. The plus side is that it's cheap and cheeful, smells nice and leaves you with a natural looking result. The down side is that if you don't use it regularly it starts to flake off and make your skin look questionable. Washing your hands after applying it is also a must, unless you want people asking if you have pigmentation issues.

Rimmel Instant Tan Cream & Spray

These babies are great for when you're feeling really pale and gross and want a quick pick-me-up on the day of a particular event. They come in various shades of course but I use Golden if I have a base colour already. If you're not happy with the colour or it looks a bit blotchy, you can just wash it off and start again. Easy peasy.
  And last but not least, God's gift to fair girls:




St.Tropez Bronzing Mousse


I discovered this a few years ago thanks to the same lovely housemate and it's my favourite product of all time. At £32.00 a pop {240ml bottle} it isn't cheap but one usually lasts me about a year so it seems like a fair investment {Especially considering a spray tan is around the same price in the UK/Europe} The mousse itself has a green tinge to it, which is perfect for avoiding that neon orange glow. The cons are similar to any other tanning products: it stains clothes and smells a bit funny. But it's the best thing since sliced bread if you want to have a deep, even tan without the skin damage.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig