September 13, 2012

Roald Dahl Day

Dahl was celebrated for his whimsical, twisted, cheeky and simply gloriumptious stories of witches, giants and fantastic foxes. 

Here are some of my favourite childhood tales:

A sweet tortoise love story

The adorable book worm with magical powers

Disgusting, but oh-so-amusing!

This gave me nightmares as a child, even before the film.


Though Dahl is known for his children's books, his short stories for adults are equally as entertaining. My mum gave me her copy of 'The Best of Roald Dahl' when I was a teenager and I was shocked to read his dirty, macabre short stories of sex, murder and naughty things which wouldn't be allowed in the land of BFGs and oompa loompas. These stories generally share a dark sense of humour with a very surprising ending. 
A must read for all of Dahl's fans who are all grown up :)



SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Ahh Roald Dahl, Matilda was my favourite book of his although I hated The Twits because they were just so disgusting! Haha. xx

    http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig