October 13, 2012

It's my blog & I'll post if I want to.



I've recently been questioned about this little ol' blog of mine and why I do this in the first place.
Friends have asked me why I haven't taken my blog to the next level and whether I'd be interested in making money out of it. The answer to that is no because I feel like I'll lose myself to financial gain and end up trying to please too many people at once. This is still a learning curve for me and I haven't quite figured this all out. I fell into blogging, realized I liked it and plan on keeping it up as long as I can.
I blog because I like to.
It's a digital diary of my life and the things I've experienced.
 I write posts exactly when I feel like it, when I get a spare moment or when I'm just bursting to share something. 
I love reading other blogs & getting a glimpse into the life of someone on the other side of the world, or even someone who's living in the same city as me but offering new ideas and places to discover.
I like to share with those who care enough to read about my little life and things that interest me.
I like to keep relationships going with friends all over the world by offering them a dose of myself, written in the same way I would tell it to their face.





On the other hand, as much as I love to read certain blogs that are very personal and intimate, I've tried to shy away from revealing TOO much about myself, my relationships and my feelings on certain issues (social, personal and political). I have to keep in mind that there are hundreds of people reading this blog every single day, half of whom I don't even know personally and this thought freaks me out a bit.
There's a fine line between developing your personality online and simply giving away too much information or forgetting what you're blog is about.  At one point I got a bit caught up in trying to figure out what my followers preferred to read about, checking my popular posts, trends & tips on creating a 'better blog'. I'm not doing this to show the world every inch of me but rather to give a glimpse, share ideas and start a discussion.
I know that makes me a boring blogger and I'd probably gain more followers by sharing more personal details.
But I'm not quite ready for that yet and I don't know if I'll ever be.
 But I'd be kidding myself if I said I really knew what I was doing. It's become more sporadic purely because that's how I am in real life.
At the end of the day, if I'm unsure about something that I want to post, I weigh it out by asking myself whether I would stand up on a podium and announce that exact same thing to a room full of hundreds of strangers:
'I HAD PANCAKES FOR BREAKFAST TODAY!'
And if my answer is no because they could care less or won't be able to relate, then I won't write it.
Simples.

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Great blog post!! And I am totally with you on this one. I too blog because I like it; I like writing and photography, but I dont want to feel a pressure to write a certain thing or post a certain picture. I have no routine, no regular posts and I try not to share too much. I think it is important to remain true to your style and what your original blogging intentions are.

    But I do hope you continue posting because even though I am a relatively new reader, I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig