October 17, 2012

One Young Whirlwind

The last 24 hours have been chaotic to say the least - I left Barbados on Monday afternoon bound for London, where I had a 2 hour layover before flying to Amsterdam. I then spent the night in my former apartment, had dinner with friends and lots of homemade tiramisu, followed by a deep, yet interrupted sleep of about 6 hours. You know that feeling of exhaustion coupled with excitement? I kept tossing and turning because I just couldn't sleep - I was too excited about my next move.

I boarded the flight for Detroit at noon the next day and made friends with delegates from 6 other countries before I arrived in Pittsburgh 10 hours later. We were all here for the same thing - to represent our countries and companies at One Young World 2012 and discuss ideas, giving delegates the kind of media platform and access to world figures ordinarily afforded only to those who lead countries and corporations. There are over 1,500 people from 196 countries attending this summit.


As I type this, I'm battling crazy, sporadic thoughts due to sleep deprivation and my tummy is full with the most disgusting, calorific sandwich I've ever eaten! A group of us had dinner and beers at Primati Brother's Bar & Grill, dubbed 'A Pittsburgh Tradition Since 1933' who declare that 'Man Does Not Live By (meat, cheese, tomato, cole slaw, fries and) Bread Alone.' My sandwich had all of the above in it and it was a struggle to eat half of it - I'd weigh a tonne if I lived in this country. Let's just say this is the best I've eaten recently - I will dedicate an entire post on the food I've consumed these past couple of days.



Anyway, I digress. The coming weekend is packed full of speeches, break out sessions, workshops & networking events and I can't wait to soak it all up & spit it back out on this ol' blog. There are so many inspirational people attending (and a few celebrity crushes inbetween) that I can't help but name drop: Bill Clinton, Kofi Anna, Arianna Huffington, Bob Geldof, Fatima Bhutto, Imran Khan, Jamie Oliver, Jimmy Wales, Joss Stone, Muhammad Yunus, Natalia Vodianova, Oscar Morales, Pete Cashmore & Rahul Gandhi, to name a few. phewww!

Can't wait, can't wait, can't waittttt! 
I promise a more coherent post after the weekend.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Ok so I know Bill Clinton is kinda cool but out of your name dropping all I saw was Joss Stone!!! Ugh love her. Work hard, play hard! Have fun AND educational time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brimming with jealousy!!! Keep name dropping, this is a once in a life time opportunity! x

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig