November 26, 2012

When in Rome...



After my recent rant about trying to find sunshine in a shithole, I decided to take the first step in staying positive and booked a weekend trip to Rome for my birthday :) Good food, good wine, beautiful setting and great company? Sounds like the perfect way to celebrate my quarter century crisis. 
I've never ventured to Italy, even though it's been on my list for years now! The one thing that's always put me off of visiting is the fact that's it's a huge tourist destination and I HATE being a tourist, or at least feeling like one. It's an age old travel conundrum: should one avoid popular tourist destinations purely because everyone goes there? Even though I've always been wary, I'd have to disagree with that because I come from one of the top tourist destinations in the world and believe that there are so many different ways to experience a country. The best way to is through the eyes of a local, and Barbados is a perfect example of this. Same goes for Thailand and other hot spots; my personal experience lies in stark contrast with those of locals or people who visited friends living there. Finding hidden hangouts and local watering holes, trying homemade meals, getting stuck on local transport & seeing how it's really done is the best part of travelling. And yet, the opportunity to visit someone in Italy hasn't sprung up yet - until now :) I'm super excited and can't wait to eat, drink, party, explore and discover everything Rome has to offer.

Can anyone offer me less obvious tips on what to see, eat & do when in Rome?

Gotta love Twitter for this -  I tweeted at Lonely Planet this morning asking for tips on where to eat, love &play and these are some of the responses I got:





Can't wait to start reading through the recommendations!

Any more suggestions?

Follow me on Twitter & join the conversation :)

xxx


SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Whaaaaaat!?!? Roooooooome!?!? Way to bounce back gurl! Can't wait to hear all about your trip :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig