November 30, 2012

Yes, I'm from Barbados.


{via Nikola Simpson}



"Where are you from?"
"Barbados"
"Where is that exactly?" 
"It's an island in the Caribbean, sort of near Jamaica and Cuba, but much further South"
"Cool, so how long is the drive from Jamaica?"

---------------------------

"Ahhh Barbados, I've been there. I love the Bahamas!"

------------------------------

"Do you know Rihanna?"

------------------------------

"So I hear you're from Barbados"
"I am indeed :)"
"But...you're white."
"Yep, there is such a thing as a white Barbadian."
"Oh right, but one of your parents must be black then?"

------------------------------

"So you're from Barbados...but why do you sound Irish?"

------------------------------

"Do they have internet in Barbados?"

------------------------------

"Bajan? Like Cajun chicken?"

------------------------------

"OMG You're part of the Bermuda Triangle! Crazy!"

------------------------------

"You're from Barbados? What the hell are you doing HERE?"

------------------------------

"Ooooo you're from Barbados: IRIE, MON!"
"That's Jamaican and we don't talk like that"
"But aren't you part of Jamaica?"

------------------------------

These are some little snippets of conversations I've had over the years when I mention where I'm from. Rarely do I get a standard response and everyone always has something to say; be it negative, positive or plain ignorant.
Barbados is teeny tiny & a lot of people couldn't point it out on a map but yet the island is world renowned for beautiful beaches, tropical weather, friendly people, yummy food,  awesome music, to name a few.
I love our little island and am so proud to be a Bajan :)

Happy 46th Independence Barbados!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Woot Woot! Can't wait to visit your little island! Happy Independence Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh so much. Im not an expert on Barbados or anything but come on, some of these people must have lost a few brain cells along the way!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig