March 12, 2013

My island, Barbados (My Biggest, Baddest Bucket list entry)

7 years ago, I wasn't very patriotic. I was in my final year of high school, itching to leave for university. I had partied, beached, limed, swam, surf, sailed & lived the island life to my heart's content. I felt like I had met everyone there was to meet and I was ready for a new adventure.
In my first year at university in England, I was blown away by people's response to my home country. I never really gave our lifestyle in Barbados a second thought; surely everyone lived like us? I had traveled extensively as a child but yet never fully grasped the notion that those long summer months in Europe didn't last forever. That's the beauty of travelling of course, to experience other lifestyles and cultures but living in England really opened my eyes to a lot of things and sewed a seed of appreciation for my island.

Fast forward 6 years and I have been lucky enough to have lived in different countries and even more cities and experienced a lot of things that many 25 year olds don't get to experience. Yet, coming home feels better every time. Maybe it's my quarter life crisis kicking it or maybe its a new found love for Barbados and everything it has to offer. Being away made me appreciate our weather, our people, our food, our culture and our lifestyle more than I ever did before.

When I heard about the Biggest, Baddest Bucket list competition, chosing my favourite destination was a no brainer. Barbados is one of the best places in the world and I wanted to show people why. I decided to omit the usual 'touristy' stuff that comes to mind when you hear about Barbados and to show people the more 'secret' and 'local' side to this island.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig