December 16, 2013

Thanksgivvukah


*Thanksgivvukah: a holiday name given to the convergence of the American holiday of Thanksgiving and the first day (and second night) of the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah on Thursday, November 28, 2013. It was the result of a rare coincidence between the lunisolar Hebrew calendar (whose dates reflect both the moon phase and the time of the solar year, and which can have between 353 and 385 days per year) and the Gregorian calendar. Because the calendars are not calculated the same way, Hanukkah appears at a different time each year on the Gregorian calendar. The last time the first day of Hanukkah fell on Thanksgiving was in the 1800s. The next time it will happen is in the year 79,811.

Read more here: http://www.modbee.com/2013/11/23/3043130/hanukkah-coincides-with-thanksgiving.html#storylink=cpy

I just added that bit of info in there in case any of you were wondering what I was talking about when I first mentioned Thanksgivvukah. A couple of weeks ago, I posted about my trip to the States to celebrate the holidays with my boyfriend's family and I've finally managed to sort and edit the gazillion photos I took whilst there. It was such a great week, these photos really don't do it justice.



This was my first Hannukah and Thanksgiving experience and I loved every second of it! We stayed with J's family, and every room in the house was was filled with cousins who had come home from all over the country. It was so nice to finally put faces to names and to hear all of the funny and embarrassing family stories! He comes from quite a large family, so there was constant hustle and bustle as meals were prepped, eaten and put away on a daily basis. Every day pretty much revolved around food; we planned outings around meals, coffee breaks and 'food coma' recovery.


I must admit, I held back a bit on the food because I knew there would be SO much of it over the coming days, that I thankfully never experienced a food coma. That can't be said for everyone else though, and bodies were strewn everywhere after every meal. Thanksgiving was delicious, and I couldn't get enough of the leftover turkey and home made cranberry sauce on bagels for breakfast :) 


My American holiday experience wouldn't be complete without a shopping trip. We went to the King of Prussia Mall on Black Friday expecting to fight our way in to stores. For any of you who have shopped in Primark in the UK before (especially on Oxford Street), this shopping was a piece of cake. Maybe it's the state of the economy, or maybe it's because more people are tuning in to Cyber Monday for their annual Sales, but Black Friday was a breeze, especially when you have a sweet boyfriend who willingly stands in the line for you while you shop...
We rounded off the weekend with a trip to a local hole-in-the-wall. Roberts happens to be the same place J's grandparents held their wedding reception 55 years ago, solidifying the 'small town' feel of Margate. 

Thank you Tamar, for letting me share some of your images on here :) I was so busy filming half the time that I never really took out my SLR. I have a tonne of video footage that I took but for some reason, editing MP4 is impossible on both Macs and PCs :( {Any tips?}



I'm so grateful for such an amazing Thanksgivvukah experience, it was everything I imagined it would be and more - great people, good food and a very loving, cosy family atmosphere. Such a pity it only happens every 77,798 years.



Stay tuned for my upcoming posts on New York! 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig