June 10, 2014

Giving Credit where Credit is due to Relish Epicurea

Bajans love a good rant. There's a sense of camaraderie to be found in complaining about the terrible service experienced every day in the government, tourism and service industries on this island.  Whether it's a 5 star hotel restaurant or a local rum shop, I find good service to be as unpredictable as the weather in England. That said, I do think it's only fair to highlight the amazing service and experiences that local restaurants, hotels and other companies offer on occasion.


Relish Epicurea handled a tricky situation really well the other day, that I feel like I owe it to them to offer credit where it is due. Relish is a local gourmet cafe based in Limegrove Lifestyle Centre that offers everything from freshly brewed coffee to salads drizzled in truffle sauce. Though they're quite pricey, I'm a huge fan of this place; their food is delicious and their staff is always really friendly. 

I hurriedly bought two of my favourite ham & cheese pastries from Relish in Limegrove, and gobbled down my first one before I even left the mall. I started chowing down on the second one, only to realise it was below their standard. I won't go into details about what was wrong with the pastry, but let's just say I was left feeling pretty disappointed and hungry. As soon as I got home I did what most Gen-Y media nerds would do: I wrote them a private message through their Facebook Page, filling them in on the situation for future reference. As someone who worked as a waitress for many years, I like to assume feedback is generally appreciated, whether positive or negative. I forgot about the message as soon as sent it, and I didn't expect to hear back from them anytime soon. 

Not only did they quickly respond to me with a really nice, apologetic message that acknowledged their mistake, but they gave me a voucher for a free Ham & Cheese pastry and a coffee the next time I visited. Though I don't fail to see the irony in this, I was also thoroughly impressed by their professionalism.


For those of you reading this post from overseas, you're probably scratching your heads thinking "Seriously, she's getting excited about something that's a GIVEN in the service industry here!", but in this island (and in my experience) service like this is hard to come by and I think it needs to be brought to people's attention that every little detail makes a difference. 

Their message was personable and friendly, and I really appreciated them making the extra effort to make sure that I come back to them again in the future (which I will). If Barbados is going to continue to compete as one of the top holiday destinations in the world, we really need to step up our game. In fact, we should have started stepping it up years ago! Anyway, I digress. The point of this post was not to rant (See how easy it is?) but to end on a positive note.

 Baby steps: Though this was just a tiny example of good service, I hope other establishments can take a page out of their (Face)book and deal with customers in the same way.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig