June 27, 2014

#Residenttourist: Farm to Chef Slow Food Market Day



I posted this beautiful flyer about the cook off event by Slow Food Barbados on my Facebook page a few weeks ago and the event was the first of it's kind in Barbados. 



Local chefs battled it out to see who's got what it takes to be a true Farm To Table chef. Slow Food Barbados is part of a global, grassroots non-profit association, linking the pleasure of good food to a commitment to the environment & community. I think Barbadian consumers are slowly starting to question where their food comes from; not only because of the rising cost of importing an insane amount of food, but feeling more connected to what you're putting in to your body. They're working to improve the food system in Barbados in a number of ways, such as promoting clean food production and consumption that does not harm the environment, animal welfare or our health; fresh and flavoursome seasonal diet that satisfies the senses and is part of our local culture and fair, accessible prices for consumers and fair conditions and pay for small-scale producers. 



We were amazed at the turn out and the variety of foods and produce on display. We sampled an embarrassing amount of food in under 2 hours - Our favourite was the 8 hour smoked jerked black belly sheep with corn bread, texan beans and slaw prepared by local chef Scott Aimes; it was so good that I had two servings :)


Here's hoping the next Slow Foods event rolls around quickly, we really need more initiatives on this small island. And let's be honest, I'll support any excuse to eat this amount of locally sourced goodies.


Dolphin (Mahi Mahi, not flipper) cutter
Organic, homemade dog treats by Munchy Muncharoonies
Oh, and I forgot to add that we ended our weekend with a beach lime at Gibbs. 




I'm co-hosting my first link up with my friend Setarra for her monthly #ResidentTourist feature this month! I've done a couple of #resident tourists post before, and I absolutely love the concept of taking the time to appreciate what your local area as to offer. As she said 'travel is not just about going away to see beautiful places, it's about seeing the beauty in EVERY place... And trust me, there is so much beauty in your backyard just waiting for you to untap its potential.' Check out Setarra's adventures in Arlington.



SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Everything looks so good and yummy! Oh how I miss Bim :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at an amazing event here recently. The event was outdoors along the water and against a beautiful sunset. As the party moved indoors, I was struck by the decor by the corporate event planning team.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig