August 5, 2014

Crop Over Chronicles: Snowconians, A Kadooment fantasy come true


I've been jumping Kadooment since I was 15 years old...I've missed it twice over the years because I was overseas, so this Crop Over would make it my 10th jump. 10th JUMP! Not only does that reveal my age, but my love for Kadoooment and all things feathery, glittery and colourful.  


When Baje International launched their costumes in June, my friends and I jumped (no pun intended) at the chance to get some costumes, with the option of selling them later on if we decided against jumping on Monday. 

As Crop Over neared, my friends opted out and started to sell of their costumes....I held out until the last week, but I decided against jumping as well. With that in mind, I sold my costume to someone, and just figured I would be 'reveling' on the side of the road in a bikini top and shorts.


The day I sold my costume, I told a friend of mine my intentions of 'reveling' on the side of the road. She told a friend of hers about my plans and suddenly I found myself invited to join a group of girls who had been offered a whole batch of unused costumes from Carnival in Trinidad. I said yes without thinking twice, and was completely blown away by the fact that we were getting brand new Fantasy costumes; they were the most beautiful costumes I had ever seen and we were allowed to do whatever we wanted with them! We all met up the Friday before Kadooment and added bits and bobs, edited and tailored our brand new costumes. It was like Christmas Carnival!
Little did I realise that was only the beginning....


One thing lead to the next, and the girls ended up organising a whole new 'rebel' band sponsored by various local companies; complete with a snow cone cart full of mixers, a driver, lunch and permission to tag along at the back of a band (so we had music too) 
The only thing we had to do was show up on the morning of Kadooment with a bottle of alcohol to contribute to the cart.
One of my best Kadooment experiences was completely random, last minute and stress free and with one of the most beautiful costumes I've ever worn. I can't believe it turned out the way that it did and I feel very lucky and grateful to have been a part of it!




Will I revel like that again? Probably not, because an opportunity like this will never occur as spontaneously as it did. 
I will add that in the future, I hope that bands will consider putting together a 'motley crew' section or 'bring your own costume' section, so that we can have as much fun as we did putting it all together and to give everyone the opportunity to join in on the festivities. Though this takes away from the 'exclusivity' of certain bands, it's a shame that a lot of people can't join in on the fun because of varying budgets. In today's economy, it seems ridiculous that people are spending upwards of US$2,000 for a costume/day on the road! Though I have no doubt that the experience is very upmarket and worth every penny to some, I get the feeling that we're losing the unique inhibition that Kadooment allows; where everyone can come together, let loose and enjoy themselves, no matter who they are or where they're from. 
I'd like to thank the girls for organising such an amazing day like the straight up hustlers that they are and to our sponsors for treating us all like princesses; it truly was one of the best days ever!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig