May 4, 2015

UNDP Forum in Trinidad & Tobago

It's been quiet on the blog again since our trip to the States. I've been 'catching my tail' with work and a few other projects since I've been back, one of which I'm super excited to share:

I'm off to Trinidad today to attend a UNDP Forum that aims to 'encourage disruptive thinking and derive strategies for securing a sustainable future for Caribbean states.'  Caribbean heads of government, policy-makers, civil society and business leaders, and academic experts will be aiming to confront existing development paradigms through innovative, disruptive thought.

I love the use of the phrase disruptive thought for something so important.



The Global Shapers community was invited to participate in the Forum and as a member of the Bridgetown Hub, I jumped at the opportunity to be a part of something like this. It reminds me of my One Young World experience, and I can't wait to be surrounded by people who are working towards building a stronger Caribbean region. Our region, and our island specifically, needs to focus on more practical, collaborative solutions for a sustainable future. The Forum is creating a platform for people from various industries and levels of expertise to exchange knowledge on decision making to improve the region. The fact that so many young people are also taking part [free of charge!] already sets this Forum apart from previous events that are off limits to most of us.

There are 7 major themes being talked about at the forum are:

Global Convergence: A Place for the Caribbean
Location Strategies for the Caribbean: Convergence of Ideas and of Ideals
Building the Resilience of Small States: A Strategic Vision for the Caribbean 2050
Multi-dimensional Progress to Tackle Poverty and Inequality
Solutions to Sustainable Development Issues in High & Middle Income Caribbean Countries
New Diplomacy for Strengthening Financial Capacities and New Global Compact
Global Diplomacy in the Caribbean



 I'm passionate about youth development and volunteerism in the region in particular, so I'm looking forward to being a part of the conversation on 'Solutions to Sustainable Development Issues in High & Middle Income Caribbean Countries.'

The added bonus to all of this is that I get to crash by my good friend Danielle, who is always the hostess with the mostest and I can't wait to catch up with her in Port of Spain.

You can read more about the Forum on their spiffy website. I will also be live tweeting (as much as possible) from the event via our Global Shapers twitter account and using the #CaribbeanFutureForum. 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig