July 7, 2015

#badblogger problems

I've been going through one of the 'quiet' phases that have come to define this blog and they generally reflect pretty busy periods of my [real] life which leave me with little time for my hobbies, of which blogging is top 3. Instead of getting frustrated though, I'm reflecting on how these 'slumps' in blogging are defined by the following issues I've faced as a blogger over the years. For those who got excited and thought this post was about adorable puppies, I apologise, because it's not. But I promise a post dedicated to these babies soon!



Blog/Life balance

My friend Setarra always mentions the balance between living your life and actually blogging about it, and I couldn't agree with her more. Obviously I wouldn't have anything to talk about if I wasn't out there doing my thing, but finding time to blog (properly) is very difficult. Friends have commented that they would never have the time to blog, but blogging is just like any other hobby/thing I enjoy doing, and I treat it as such. I have to chose between reading a book and writing a post on here, or anything else I enjoy doing, when I have a free minute. Finding those free minutes has been tough recently, as I continue to say 'yes' to too many projects and wish there were more hours in the day. It's tough, but it's just how this all works for me and I can't don't function well when I pressure myself to treat blogging as something I have to do.



Quality over quantity

This goes without saying, but it's difficult keeping up with posts! I don't know how successful 'amateur' bloggers do it, but kudos to them for keeping quality content coming. I have over 1000+ 'draft' posts saved on here, and I fully intend on publishing them all, one day, once I have taken the time to edit and finish them off.  I have to fight the urge to post for the sake of it, and I thank Instagram for being a no fuss creative outlet that allows me to post photos without the hassle. After years of playing this blogging game, I often think 'ooh, I need to blog about this!' but then I find myself lacking the 'juice' needed to make a decent post. The Type A in me also takes over in cases like this, and I can't publish something without it feeling just right. Over the years, I have also learned to rely on my 'editorial team' for certain posts. These friends read through my more serious stuff before I post too, to keep me from posting something that may come across differently to how I intended or to make me really think of what I am trying to achieve by posting certain things.


Time management

I think time management is one of the most valuable skills you can have these days, with all of the garbage that is thrown at us on a daily basis, it's so easy to get distracted or wrapped up in something irrelevant. I'm working on developing this skill, but this blog zaps up time like none other. I try to carve out 'creative' time for myself on a daily basis, whether it's blogging, painting or editing video content. Blogging always takes longer than expected though (especially editing) and I find myself shying away from writing sometimes for fear of getting too wrapped up in it and losing track of time.

Do any of my bloggy friends have the same issues? How do you deal with some of them? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig