November 1, 2015

October Recap


It's been a month since I returned from India and these past weeks have been a blur of doctor's visits, meetings, missing dogs, coffee dates and lots of time spent at home cooking and playing catch up with work and life in general.

When I first got home, I was having issues with my back (thanks to my 50lb backpack) and it slowly worsened to the point where I couldn't really walk properly without excruciating pain. I spent weeks visiting chiropractors, physical therapists and finally an amazing acupuncturist who solved the problem. I went from being stuck at home to being able to jog and swim again (in little bursts) within the space of two weeks thanks to lots of tweaking and a pressure gun. I have a newfound respect for those who suffer from injuries and chronic pain; not only is it a daily battle to keep your restrictions in mind but the patience required to heal properly is something I struggled with.


To add to my back issues, I spent two weeks 'catching up' on all of the food I missed while I was away (Fish! Pie! Wine! Chocolate!) I was eating chocolate and drinking wine on a daily basis and kept fooling myself into thinking that I had lost enough weight in India to justify my gluttonous behaviour. Besides, my back hurt (a lot) and I wanted to distract myself with yummy food. I finally hit rock bottom when I sat through an entire take away meal of fried chicken, fries, mayo, coke, ice cream and a chocolate. Instead of feeling satisfied, I felt gross and realised I was using my excuse of 'catching up on my favourite foods' to fool myself into ignoring my cravings and lack of self control.

By mid October J and I had decided to give Whole30 a try. I first learnt about Whole30 through my friend Michelle, who blogs over on For Blog's Sake. Michelle's daily dose of inspiration, recipes and anecdotes chronicling her Whole30 journey during the month of September (while I was in India) really made me think about my relationship with food. She was honest about the challenge and her realistic and relatable posts convinced me to give this challenge a shot. I'm two weeks in and it's been a pretty cool experience, but I'll be blogging about it in more detail once it's over.


All of this down time has forced me to stop and re assess some of my goals for 2015. I feel like I talk about the struggles of maintaining a good blog more than I actually blog, but finding the time to blog properly is a constant battle for me. That said, I challenged myself to blog more consistently in November and December and to try my best to recap my summer travels before the end of the year. I'm taking a leaf out of my friend Setarra's book with her awesome travel recaps and hope that I can get my blogging skills up to that level!

Annnnnd finally, what's an October recap without any mention of Halloween? I loveeee Halloween! At last minute scramble for costumes and party tickets had some pretty hilarious results.

Jouvert wanted a piece of my heart - a sweet potato wrapped in tissue & a sandwich bag, covered in Siracha sauce
Queen of Hearts
Posing off with my creepy clown & Jonny Bravo

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig