April 11, 2016

Fleas on Fleek: a pop up fashion event




A couple of months ago, I started working on an idea to get rid of unwanted, unworn clothing that was still nice enough to be enjoyed by someone else.


I'm not a fashionista by any means, and as I get older I realise how little I care about current trends. I know what works for my personal style and what I feel comfortable in, so I don't know who I'm fooling by buying 'fashionable' things that don't work for me - I just end up with too much stuff in my closet. I decided to try to do a bit of Spring cleaning by combining a 'flea market' style event with a 'clothes swap' and inviting my [trendier] friends to participate.

In the last month or so, the idea has developed quite a bit and my friends agreed to go along with my plan - a 'Fleas on Fleek' event was born! :) 

In a nutshell, the concept is quite simple: We're combining an all female clothing swap with a pop up flea market in Barbados. 



Swap, Sell and Donate.

First, we swap amongst ourselves and then people are invited to come and buy our clothing from us after we have swapped.


All surplus clothing, shoes and accessories are then being donated to Jabez House
an organisation that provides vocational training and entrepreneurial opportunities to female sex workers in Barbados. They do amazing work and professional clothing and accessories are very useful to the ladies who are entering the corporate workforce.

Those who are invited to participate this time are encouraged to invite a few friends to sign up for the next event - so that we have a new group of people, with different items moving forward. 


Natasha, a local fashion blogger of InMyWardrobe, was invited to the event on Facebook and she since contacted me and asked me some questions, such as where the name came from and whether this is going to be a regular event. You can check out her post here. Thank you Natasha!

The event is taking place this Saturday, April 16th from 4 -6 pm - Check out our Facebook event for further details and invite a friend :)


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig