April 4, 2016

Island Diaries: Diving right in

Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro

I had the pleasure of escaping the world and diving with my brother and a friend on Saturday morning in Carlisle Bay.

I did my PADI Open Water about 6 years ago in Thailand and I've been diving twice since then. 

TWICE! 

I'm kicking myself for waiting this long to get back in to the water, especially since moving back to Barbados, and I'm so happy that my brother took the time to coach me back into it.

As soon as I touched the seabed I was freaking out with excitement - diving is the ultimate water baby experience. About half way through the dive, I got ahead of myself and had to take a breather - quite literally - reminding myself to calm down and not get overexcited. As we played around the wrecks, even taking a peek inside one of the larger ones, I realised that I was instinctively holding my breath as though I was free diving into the ship's crevice. It took a little while before my body and brain really connected with the fact that I could relax and breath underwater, while exploring wherever I wanted. It was such a liberating feeling.

The conditions weren't perfect by Barbados dive standards; it was a slightly overcast day and the water was not the clearest, but we stayed under for 70 glorious minutes and took our time exploring the shipwrecks in the bay. We were pleasantly surprised at the lack of garbage in the water and the absence of lion fish. Lion fish are an invasive species in the Caribbean and have been wreaking havoc on our marine life, but it seems as though the dive shops are keeping them under control in Carlisle Bay (or perhaps we just got lucky on that day!)

We reached a maximum depth of 55 ft. and the combination of low lighting and murky water made it pretty tricky to capture the experience. I shot these with my GoPro, which isn't the best with low light. I'm a sucker for underwater photography, and since the conditions weren't ideal, I edited these in black and white to add some more depth and mood to these images. Once I get a better handle on the diving, I'd like to figure out how to take better photos underwater. Any suggestions on the best cameras or accessories for shooting underwater?

I also took some video footage which I will be editing in the coming week.

Along with diving, I'm slowly easing myself back in to blogging and this little adventure was the perfect way to kick start some blogging goals for April.

Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoProDiving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro
Diving, Underwater Photography, Barbados, Black and White Photography, GoPro

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig