May 18, 2016

Wednesday's Window to the World: Celebrating 5 years!



Five years ago, I started a series called "Wednesday's Window to the World" on this blog. 

This idea was inspired by a blog I follow dedicated to creating a collection of individual views from individuals around the world. View from Your Window asked followers to email them a snapshot of the view from their windows with a small blurb to accompany it. Sadly, this blog is no longer active.

I decided to try something similar but with people I know personally - I'm so lucky to have interesting friends and family scattered all over the world, from L.A to Hong Kong, Dubai to Argentina. Some are 1000's of feet in the air whilst a couple of them are below the surface. Facebook has allowed me to keep in touch with them and follow their adventures. Over the years, Blackberry Messenger (Remember the days?) and WhatsApp have allowed this to be taken even further by allowing us to share photos and snapshots of our lives instantaneously. I love it when I get a photo showing me where someone is at that very second.

Photo credit: Krystal Boyea 

We all get that feeling sometimes when we look out of our window at a grey sky or are just stressed out with work. Or, perhaps it's the opposite, where you are somewhere amazing and would love nothing more than for some of your friends to be there with you. I've had that numerous times during my travels; when everything was ALMOST perfect but the only thing missing was close friends and family to share in the experience with us. A snapshot is that 'wish you were here' gesture. 

Since starting this series on my blog, it got to be a bit too much to manage and I started a Facebook group instead. Friends of mine invited their friends to participate, and it has since blossomed in to active photography group, with people posting photos from across the world. 

Photo credit: Maria Farrelly
Members are to take a photo of their view from a window - be it home, office or even car/public transportation at any point during their day - or somewhere they don't usually go.  TRAVEL photos are encouraged! It can be ANYWHERE in the world, somewhere they're visiting on holiday or for work.

With today's culture of 'oversharing' I quite like the idea that this group sets certain limitations/guidelines on the types of photos you can share. We encourage members to share views from an actual window/opening/door, rather than just a view from where they're standing and this forces some to be a bit more creative with their shots and framing.

I may try to shake things up a bit and start a 'themed' approach to posting, and I'm open to suggestions...black & white, an ocean or mountain view, view on your commute? Please share any ideas that you may have! 

We're celebrating 5 years of sharing experiences, and I hope you can join us!

Photo credit: Angie Rodrigues

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig